Thursday, April 23, 2015

Happy Earth day, Everyday

                                                                                                       image via pinterest                                    

Yesterday, April 22nd was Earth day. Who knew, not I for sure, yesterday was the first time I ever recognized the day. Earth hour, I know about but not Earth day. All the same I decided to embrace it and find out more on how to mark the day. One thing I did was read a survey and educate myself on ecotriva from this website below

http://www.earthday.ca/resources/ecotrivia

A few tips, I learned and would like to work on include:

1. Unplug electrical appliance when not in use, from laptops to kettles to toasters. This will not only be earth friendly but save me money. That I can definitely get on board with ( smile)

2. Keep my showers short and quick, especially as I already take too long and use up too much water on days I wash my hair. 

3.Keeping car idling to a minimum.  A minimum, as this cannot be help sometimes due to our cold Canadian weather. However a great tip/eye opener I learnt was the fact the car is idling when in a drive through, going forward, I will park the car and walk into the restaurant.

4. Stop being lazy and go out of my way if need be to recycle. This will require some effort especially in places where recycling facilities are not readily available but I am now more willing look or ask for a recycling bin.

5. Use less disposables. From fashion, to packaging to cleaning materials, our society tends to lean towards disposables, disposables that end up in landfills. I plan to learn, investigate and use other alternatives. For example, purchasing more classical fashion of good quality fabric that would not need to be tossed out after a few wears, using cloth napkins and less paper towels, using actual plates and less Styrofoam, taking my re-usable bag to the grocery store etc.

Ideas for the future

- Plant a garden. A garden instead of a backlawn, one that is a rock garden that consist of food crops in rotation to keep the soil healthy and mixed in with some flowers of course.
- Would love to own a home with energy saving features and possibly a solar panel. 






No comments:

Post a Comment